Monday, September 26, 2022

I Like Getting HIIT

 HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training, and this method of exercise is one of the best; that's why it's one of my favorite.  

The basic idea is this:  You work at a higher intensity pace for a shorter amount of time and follow it up with a brief rest period prior to moving on to the next exercise.

According to Healthline.com, this type of exercise offers the following advantages:

1.  Burns more calories in a shorter amount of time.  For me, it's nothing to burn 350-400 calories in 20-25 minutes while doing HIIT.  Compare this to a steady pace run that lasts 30 minutes and burns me 250 calories.

2.  Your metabolic rate is higher for hours AFTER the workout.  Who doesn't want to keep burning fat stores after the workout is over? 😄

3.  Helps you lose fat.  This is most effective if you're overweight.

4.  Muscle can be gained.  This can be done using light to moderate weights and bodyweight.

5.  Oxygen consumption can improve.  This is the oxygen that your muscles use.  For me, I notice my breathing and energy improve due to this reality.

6.  Can lower heart rate and blood pressure.  I can personally vouch for this.  My resting heart rate used to be in the 60s, but now it is in the low 50s.  It fluctuates between 52 and 59.  I've noticed that it will be lower the more faithful I am to HIIT exercise.  Also, this exercise coupled with an anti-inflammatory diet has done wonders for the blood pressure.

7.  Blood sugar can be reduced.  I don't have blood sugar issues and don't want them!  Obviously, eating right is a big part of keeping blood sugar in check, but HIIT helps too!

To be clear, I got this info from an article off Healthline.com, but I can personally identify with these claims.

So, how do you accomplish a HIIT workout?  Easy.  Do any combo of exercise that gets your heart pumping and follow it up with just enough rest to catch your breath.  Here's a HIIT routine for you to try ...


Do each exercise for 30 or 40 seconds and follow it up with 30 to 20 seconds of rest.  Repeat this cycle 2 to 3 times or 4 times if you're a BEAST!

1.  Dumbbell Squat

2.  Mountain Climber

3.  Single-arm Dumbbell Swing

4.  T-Pushup

5.  Split Jump

6.  Standing Dumbbell Row

7.  Dumbbell Side Lunge

8.  Pushup Dumbbell Row

9.  Dumbbell Push Press

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...