Wednesday, October 12, 2022

A Simple but Powerful Prayer

"I have done judgment and justice: leave me not to mine oppressors."  (Psalm 119:121)

I have sensed that many believers are uneasy, upset, and worried over the present state of our nation and the world.  

Feelings of anger, disgust, worry, and, yes, even fear can be difficult to avoid in such a perverse world.

Some people are putting their all into gardening, in hopes that it will sustain them in the event of a serious food shortage.

Some are focusing on financial decisions, in hopes that their money will be safe, or safer, in the event of an economical crash.

Still some, have added to this list by stockpiling everything from toilet paper to 9mm ammo.

I love Psalm 119:121.  The plea of the Psalmist is simple.  His request can be relevant to me; it's within my reach as an ordinary, everyday person.

He simply says, "I have done judgment and justice."  Have I?  Have you?  

You know, the Bible isn't as difficult to understand or follow as we sometimes make it.  God tells us what to do, and He tells quite plainly for the most part.

I am commanded to trust in Christ for salvation and to obey God's two basic commands: love my God with all my heart, soul, strength and mind, and love my neighbor as myself (Matt. 22:38,39).

If I am obeying God's Word, doing what Christ would do toward others, and simply walking with God, then I may cry out with the Psalmist, "Leave me not to mine oppressors."

I'm not a gardener, and if I could garden, I don't have the land or the resources for it.

I'm also not a financial wizard.  Oh, I understand basic finance, but I couldn't tell you how to outsmart the economy and make millions right now.

Also, ammo is expensive!  I'm also fairly certain that if all the forces of government were determined to get me, I wouldn't stand a chance.

So, you know what?

I believe God wants me to do judgment and justice, so that I can comfortably and confidently pray, "Leave me not to mine oppressors."

My friends, in this lies true security.  In this concept, we find peace in the middle of a torrent valley.  

If you have a garden, till, sow, and reap.  If you have financial prowess, use it, and pass it on.  If you find a sale on something that may be useful, buy it, and be willing to share it with others.  If you can vote, vote; and do so wisely.

In all this, please remember that material things vanish.  Disaster happens.  "Riches make themselves wings, and fly away as an eagle toward heaven."  Kings come, and kings go.

Keep your focus on trusting in God and doing the right thing toward people.

Let us all foster a generous, loving spirit that puts God and others first.

Don't think for a moment that God will ever shut His ears the humble person who comes to the end of himself or herself and says, "Help me."  

Do right with what you have, and let God provide for you, teach you, care for you, and protect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...