Saturday, December 9, 2023

Good Change

I had been feeling kind of stuck in my fitness, so, about a month ago, I decided to mix it up.  I found the website of a certified trainer, and the site offers free workout plans.  I found one that is formulated especially for men over 40 (yeah, that's me now!).

Here's a quick rundown of the plan:

Monday - Leg Day

Walking Lunges, Box Jumps, Suitcase Squats, Bulgarian Split Squats, Goblet Squats

I do 3-4 rounds with 30-45 seconds rest between each exercise.


Tuesday - Lower Body Mobility

World's Greatest Stretch, 90-90s, Side Lunges, Low Lunges, Scorpions

This isn't in the plan, but I added a series of pullups and pushups that progress in difficulty.  This routine fits well into this day since mobility is the only thing slated for this day.


Wednesday - High Intensity Interval Training

High Knees, Mountain Climbers, Squat Thrusts, Jump Lunges, Butterfly Situps, Skaters

30 seconds of each, 30 seconds of rest, repeat 6 times


Thursday - Upper Body Mobility

Cat/Cow Stretch, Shoulder CARS, Thread the Needle, World's Greatest Stretch, Bretzel Stretch, Seated Twist

I normally get a walk in on this day, or sometimes it's a running day also.


Friday - Upper Body

Pullups, Rows, Pushups, Shoulder Presses, Tricep Presses, Tricep Kickbacks, Curls

3 rounds of 8-12 reps each and 30-45 seconds rest between each move


Saturday - Running Day

Sometimes this is a running day for me if I haven't ran on Thursday.  Sandra and I always walk on this day if possible.


Sunday - Off (Church, which is a different type of exercise 😊, ministering can be draining as well as fulfilling!)


For weights, I use a set of #25, #20, and #15 dumbbells.


I'm about to start the 4th week of this routine, and I must say, I can see and feel results.  The routine is hitting my muscles harder than what I was doing, but it is also forcing me to do more mobility which is more important as we age.

I found this free workout on humanfitproject.com.  I'm not endorsing the entire site, just giving credit where credit is due.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...