Wednesday, September 21, 2022

One of My Favorite Combos

I'm not good at running, but I sure do enjoy it!  Anyway, one of my favorite exercise combos is to go for an interval run and then finish it off at home with a little upper body/core strength session.  Here's the formula ...

Do an interval run circuit.  I use either 2 minutes of running followed by 2 minutes of fast walking or (if I'm more energetic) 3 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of walking.  

Honestly, you can pick any time interval that works for you.  If you're new to all this, perhaps you would be better off starting out with 1 minute of a moderate running pace followed by 2 minutes of a brisk walk.

I do 6-7 rounds, again, do what works for your body.  After this, do a cooldown walk and finish it off at home with some weights.

For the strength part, I do a strength circuit of 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest.  I alternate between these exercises and usually repeat the series 3 to 4 times ...

Pushups

Dumbbell Rows

Situp/Crunches/or Hollow-body Holds (any of these work)


This last strength circuit will take you 9 to 12 minutes and it's a great way to get in some upper-body work after all that running.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...