Wednesday, November 2, 2022

3 Aspects of My Redemption

When I trusted Christ to save my soul, I became one of His redeemed.  But what does it mean to be redeemed?  The definition of redemption is simple.  It means "the act of being saved from sin, error, or evil."  It means "the act by which something is gained or regained in exchange for payment."

Christ's blood purchases the redemption of all who will place faith in Him alone.

Think of biblical redemption as a triangle.  It has three sides to it of equal importance.

Firstly, I am set free from sin and the separation that it brings.

"Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ... ."  I Peter 1:18, 19a

The word here used for redeemed is lu-tro-o.  It means simply to be set free.  Christ's valuable blood has set me free from the bondage and burden of my sin.  Christ has delivered me from eternal separation in the Lake of Fire, and He has delivered me from the power of sin in this life (Romans 6).  Someday, He will deliver me from the presence of sin as well (I John 3:2).

Secondly, I am completely delivered out from under the curse of the Law.

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us... ."  Galatians 3:13

"But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons."  Galatians 4:4, 5

Here, in both passages, the word behind redeem is ex-a-gor-ad-zo.  It means to buy up, purchase completely.  The Law says, "He must die," but Christ's blood says, "He lives because I died for him."  I can't be sold back again.  I belong to the Lord.  He is my righteousness; therefore, I am protected from the Law's condemnation.  I am bought completely.

Thirdly, I am purchased from the market of sin and set free to serve Christ.

"For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."  I Corinthians 6:20

"And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation."  Revelation 5:9

Here, the word for redemption is a-gor-ad-zo.  It means to purchase something.  The texts make clear the fact that I am bought from the slave market of sin and set free to serve God.  Christian liberty is not a license to do as I like or to get as close to sin's border as possible.  Instead, Christian liberty frees me up to serve Christ.  I don't have to follow the strict religious rituals of the Old Testament because they have been fulfilled in Christ.  

I don't have to bind myself with self-righteous rules, trying to impress God, because Christ is my righteousness.  Instead, I can live in the Spirit of God and serve others freely.  I am still subject to the principles and commands of righteousness found in the Scripture, but I am not bound and burdened by the traditions and commandments of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...