Friday, July 14, 2023

Rebuilding Planters

A few months back, I built Sandra some planters, but I didn't make them as sturdy as I should've.  

After a recent rainstorm, or shall I say flood 💦, one of the planters crumbled.


If you look at the right side, you can see the caster wheel support that failed.  So, I decided to make something much sturdier while salvaging as much of the old planter box wood as possible.

I made a frame of 2x4.


This consisted of 8 24" 2x4 screwed together as you can see.  Next, I cut 4 2x4 17" and 4 @ 14".  These were the sides.


I fastened them with a KREG Jig and pocket screws.


The 14" pieces connected to the sides of the frame where the frame was thickest.  The 17" pieces connected to the frame where the frame was thinnest.  This way, the entire box turned out to be a 24" cube.



I don't have a miter saw, so I used a square and followed the edge of it with my rotary saw to ensure as square of a cut as possible.

After this, I attached 6 24" 2x4 on the bottom, leaving space between each one for water drainage.



The trim around the top consists of 2 20" and 2 27" 2x4.

I then removed the cedar planking from the old box and skirted the entire planter.  The trim on the corners is also cedar planking held on first with finishing nails.  Sandra then painted the trim and after that, we installed decorative screws.


The casters from the old box were reusable.  

Sandra lined the inside with heavy plastic to prevent wood rot.

I always say, "Build something right the first time."  I should've taken my own advice 😁!

If you are interested in building one, you'll need the following:

2x4- 8 @ 24", 4 @ 17", 4 @ 14", 6 @ 24", 2 @ 20", 2 @ 27"

1x6 cedar planking- 16 @ 25", 4 @ 3.5".

4 heavy duty caster wheels

1 box of 2 3/4" outdoor screws

KREG Jig and 2.5" pocket screws

#10 1.25" machine screws with hex head (or whatever suits you)

2" finishing nails


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...