Friday, April 14, 2023

My Advocate

What is an advocate?  It's someone who intercedes on behalf of another.

In I John 1:1, Jesus is called our advocate.

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:"

Apart from being covered by the blood of Christ, I can't stand before the Holy God, but in Jesus, I find refuge because He paid the price for my sins.

The Greek word behind "advocate" is the same word translated "Comforter" in John 14:16.  In that passage, the Holy Spirit is called "another Comforter."

Apart from demonstrating that the Spirit of God and the Son of God are both God, this name shows that Jesus is my Comforter.  He comes alongside me to help and deliver.

Through His sacrifice, he has appeased God's wrath toward my sin.  That's the idea behind the word "propitiation."

"And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."  I John 2:2

He was made sin for us so that we can find forgiveness of sins through belief in His name.  Also, He offers forgiveness to ALL.  As the text says, "...The whole world."  Jesus didn't die for just the "elect" as Calvinistic doctrine would have us to believe.  He died for the whole world.

The Son of God is my Advocate, my Comforter.  I would be a hopeless mess without Him, and I would not have a home in heaven if it weren't for the High and Holy Advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...