Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Perfect Day

My idea of a perfect day involves relaxed Bible time in the morning, being with Sandra on a walk in the sunshine and finding some health-conscious eatery along the way ... this day involved all 3.

I'm grateful for the slower pace of Saturdays because it makes for a more relaxed time in the Scriptures.  I've been studying for a series on the fear of the Lord, and I came across this verse in my reading.

"Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God."  Ephesians 5:21

The fear of God motivates me to put others first.  Yes, God wants us to submit to His earthly authorities, but this verse involves more than that.  God wants me to submit myself to the needs of others - to place the wellbeing of others before my own (Phil. 2:4).  By submitting myself to others, I am saying, "You are important to me.  How can I serve you?"  This attitude is contrary to what my flesh wants because I am selfish.  That's where the fear of God steps in and motivates me to do what I should do.  I serve others and submit myself to their needs because, ultimately, I want to please my high and holy God.


The sun was out today, and the air was cool but warm when walking in the direct sunlight.  Sandra found a healthy eatery in downtown Bowling Green, so we gave it a try.  Indeed, it is a gem of a place.  I don't think they have a foul ingredient in the whole cafe.  Sandra tried the Peace smoothie which had spinach, banana, mint, cacao, seed blend, and date drizzle.  My smoothie consisted of banana, cacao powder, almond butter, cold brew, seed blend, and date drizzle.  For those of you who appreciate the good ingredients of God's creation, I recommend it - highly.


This was our breakfast, so afterwards, we took a long walk from the downtown area and circled around the WKU campus.  This is a good time of year to walk there because the student population isn't out much, so the sidewalks are clear and the scenery may be enjoyed more easily.



After some stressful weeks, we needed a recharge, and God gave that to us today through quiet study, good food, and a brisk walk that inspired some delightful conversation.

God is gracious.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday Run Day

We arose around 7 and made our way to our favorite Bowling Green Park - The Loops at Lover's Lane.  This is a large park with a 1.6 mile...